Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It is not hard to fight for what is right

I participated in my first “social oriented action thingy”. I mean, this I the first time I’ve marched and joined a rally. It was very peaceful and subtle. There was no sign of aggressive testosterone in the crowd.


With my KKP family and an entire barrio of people from Davao and Bukidnon, we marched from the Provincial Capitol to the Court of Appeals. Our message was to implement the Anti-aerial Spraying Ordinance in Davao City. I do not want to touch on legal jargon here but to make the story clear, I need to touch on the simplest way I can. The city government of Davao has already passed an ordinance banning aerial spraying 2 years ago (I think) but a group of corporations filled a motion to suspend the ordinance. So now, it is under scrutiny in the Court of Appeals in Cagayan de Oro. That is the simple reason why people f
rom the south moved up here just to get their point across.

You may ask why students of Xavier would even get involved in an issue far away. The answer is simple. The issues being fought for in the legal battle are universal and ethical. It is our obligation to fight for it because it is right and true; it applies and affects every man. The basic contentions are profit and people. This case is a clear manifestation of how corporate greed can immorally compromise the general welfare of the people. People are getting sick and some already died because of this toxic rain. We can’t just let this clear and present injustice prevail.

On that moment, we may be seen by others as deviants causing traffic in a hopeless cause but I will say this to them: If it is for the common good, for what is right then I am proud to be a deviant! It is not hard to fight for what is right.

To help, just visit the KKP-SIP office in the Aggies Bldg. ground floor, you could raise awareness by writing about it in your own blogs.

No comments: