Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Kick the Curve

It is time to take a break and reflect. I am already in my third year in Xavier Law. And if gravity remains constant, then I’ll be done in 2 years. But in all the midst of this mountain of readings and the base of the bar exam mountain looms at the horizon. I ask myself, how am I in this journey?

It seems the law on diminishing marginal utility pronounce itself in this period. I do not wish to deny it but as I compare myself when I was a freshman and today, I have realized stark differences. Before, I would wake up early and be able to finish two subjects before lunch break and every minute seems to count. Now, I start reading after lunch and my mind most often than not wonders in cyberspace. I cannot just blame this to economics but this at the end of the day is a matter of choice.

But this choice happens in a context.

And the context is becoming less interesting. But context is most of the time, a matter of perception. So this made me realize a truth that has been standing in front of me all the time. That how you see things will ultimately be your reality.

So I ought to see the labor I plow into these endeavor as a transformative learning experience that empowers me to reform my community. In my mind frame, this would be the most practical thing to do – connecting it the greater scheme of things.


So as I proceed to the next semester, I ought to sharpen this saw – which means I have to get into the spirit behind the words, the history behind the concept. And the engagements I gravitate towards as a sideline from my majors are the perfect seeds that will hopefully kick off the curve.

No comments: