Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Nerianism

Triple A. What the heck is it?! A~A~A is my very own ideology called “Nerianism”. Take note: You can’t and never will see this in the dictionary. Just a brief intro in how I concocted this patchwork. From Democritus to the Big Bang, after animalism to communism, I finally discovered my own E=mc2, a constant in my world, an integrated ideology that reflects me. How about that! I finally discovered my likes. Examining it means knowing more about thyself. But don’t think this as a new world order or an idea that will mobilize the masses. “Nerianism” is simply a combination of 3 words each with its own reflection of me. A~A~A = Athens~Athenaeum~Ateneo.

These 3 words starting with the letter A is actually linked by etymology and history. The first “A” stands as the center of ancient western civilization, Athens, the city which started it all. It is in Athens where human civilization launched the sciences (Aristotle) such as mathematics (Euclid), philosophy (Socrates), history (Herodotus), politics (Pericles) , art, music, theater (Sophocles) and democracy. Topics which I love to talk, study and share about. Athens, as the center of Greek culture epitomize some core Athenian values of the “Golden Mean”( meaning not doing the extremes), “Well-roundedness” (Sound mind and sound body), “Self-examination”, “Friendship”, “Simple living” and “Nurturing the Mind”. Athenian culture reflects my fundamental values.

The 2nd A is Athenaeum. The Dictionary of Classical Antiquities thus explains "Atheneaum": The name of the first educational institution at Rome, built by Hadrian about 135 A.D.... There rhetoricians and poets held their recitations, and salaried professors gave their lectures in the various branches of general liberal education, philosophy and rhetoric, as well as grammar and jurisprudence. Simply saying, I love learning. It is a never ending journey. I consider my self as a wondering wonderer. Processing and analyzing any input and applying it to good action.

Finally the 3rd A is Ateneo, my education and its ideals. Ateneo is the Christianizing and Humanizing factor of Nerianism. A practically evolved in the walls of XU-Ateneo so it is improbable that have not absorbed all the Atenean values. Being the last “A” means this idealism is the most valued. Ateneo is teaching me what it means to live in the World. It made me aware of God’s love through loving Him and others and all of those things that associate with Him. It thought me to be socially conscious and aware because this awareness leads to reflection and proper action. It is teaching me excellence, the magis in doing all things. It is teaching me how to grow in mind and body, how to be critical in judgment. It is also teaching the value of open-mindedness, self-discipline, cultural integration, commitment to doing justice. Above all of this, the Ateneo aims to form men and women for others, for the less fortunate others.

So basically the A cube summarizes all my ideals. Ateneo (Application of Values, Love, Humanist) comes from the word Athenaeum (My processing and analyzing knowledge). Athenaeum is derived form a name of a great city called Athens (Historical grassroots of ideas).

No comments: