Saturday, December 15, 2007

Philo of Man

With a very humid air and cramped seating arrangement in SC 3, I attentively listened to Ma’am Quinones’ humorous metaphoric discussions of Descartes’ philosophy of dualism and daily manifestations of that philosophy in everyday life. It is in the immortal line of Descartes’ infallible truth: “Cogito ergo sum” that tipped the philosophical libido that was already building up in my mind. In that moment, I was consumed with the abstract concepts of possibilities and subjectivity. It is like your consciousness is focusing in itself thus trying to detach oneself from the self for the self to see the whole picture. It may sound illogical but it shows a point. It also creates a very clear boundary between me and the physical world which I can see, touch, feel, taste and listen. I can engineer my thoughts to reflect those of what my senses tell me. The concept of possibility of reality is infinitely uncompressible that my thought simply reduces that infinity into an ordered structure of expectations derived from past experiences. I simply don’t know what will happen the next moment. The subjectivity of our mind is also so fascinating in a sense that I myself has the insurmountable power to build my own universe and exist in it. I am very sure that I exist in it because my thought which is I myself is in it. What are the implications of these? I could somehow be capable of engineering a reality based on thoughts magnified by this consciousness of detaching from the very thought which is my self. In this way, thoughts are better filtered and this practice also unblocks the confined power of the mind and catapults it in a new way of looking at reality. Better yet to say that the ancient virtue of detachment is the foundation of my realization but with the inclusion of Descartes dualism, it created a fascinating (at least for me) insight between the immortal indispensable relationships of thought and reality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every man and Every Woman is a Star


This they say, that the mind is all so capable of many things that it even creates an illusion of the sense of self ..Anatta, the doctrine of non-self