Thursday, April 03, 2008

AMAZING GRACE


I’m finally back from a 10 day online hiatus. I just came from one of the most valuable experiences in my life – Immersion in Sumilao, Bukidon! This is also my first time to write a post in an internet café because my line at home got “bugged” for 14 days already so I’ll take this online moment to the fullest.

The immersion experience has totally renewed my views of life, society, and God. I don’t know how to articulate that feeling but I just hope to express it as clearly as possible. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to document the whole experience becasue of the distraction it carries that might cloud us from truly living with the farmers. So I’ll just use short sentences, thoughts from the immersion, thoughts in a nutshell. I don’t have the environment to deeply reflect what I need write so this is the deepest thing I could extract inside this noisy cafe.

Give until it hurts no more.
Giving especially for the poor is hard yet if you always share and share and share, it will start to become part of your person. It is a long process yet when that day comes, that it is already part of you then you have truly loved.

Justice is the act of faith. This is one definition of justice by a classmate. I think this is correct. Justice is made when our moral values, conscience, or faith embraces what we do as a person and as a people. Breaking the link between our faith from our actions is very destructive.

Live simply so that others may simply live. In the immortal words of Fr. Arrupe, living simply will lead you to ground yourself to the essentials of life. Having a solid grasp of what is fundamental, what is basic, what is simple will give you the greater freedom to love. Love, that is unconditional love is what makes life simple.

What is making a difference? One is by simply extending that possibility to that person. Extending the possibility is a phrase so powerful for me. This was said by Mr. Tangara. Making a difference comes in many shapes and sizes. Some are grand, some almost invisible. Extending a possibility is quite abstract but the idea for me somehow crystallizes what I ought to do to the poor. Extending possibilities mean giving hope, giving assistance, giving them a chance to dream for themselves with no hesitations. In a place where dreaming of having a college degree is reserved for those who are well off, giving a simple series of tutorials, giving a simple encouragement extends the possibility to them. This then has become a battle between what is possible and what we want to believe as impossible. Believe that all is possible and act to extend that to the people who has seem lost the possibility to hope.

Atenean leaders are animated by the Ignatian values of immersing oneself, serving and labouring in the world in order to transform it. That is why pragmatic idealism is one politically correct way to categorize our way of doing things. We are grounded on reality and we base our actions in the context reality. By doing so, we engage reality with real solutions. E.g. fighting for NO tuition fee increase abandons the real concept of inflation, therefore what we can do is to make sure the increase is justified.

To act justly, to love tenderly, to walk humbly with your God

No comments: