Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Behind the A(H1N1) News Break!


3:09pm, I finished posting my latest blog about the confirmed case of A(H1N1) in XUHS in SacDev office. An hour later, I noticed a student came inside the office to ask for a classroom reservation permit for a certain day. After some corrections with my post and not minding their transaction, I overheard a program officer saying that it might be useless to reserve this day because the “School” might be closed for ten days. Upon hearing this, it made my hair stand and made me stand as well. That feeling of stunned excitement consumed me because it seems impossible to suspend classes in the middle otf exams and GA’s and ten days of no classes is not a joke – not an absolute source of celebration. Aside from this, in an instant, it made me think that the virus is already inside the campus, lurking and invading. Having that oozing thirst for more information, I asked the program officer to clarify the mumble and got a very clear answer. “The school administration has decided to suspend classes starting tomorrow. It will resume on July 27 because of a confirmed case in XU College. Let us just wait for the memo to be released this 5pm.” Then it dawned to me that aside from the great feeling of academic liberation, I felt the burden of the student orgs who has tirelessly planned for events within that span of time that needs to be postponed. With the go signal of the program officer, I typed a facebook shout out and elicited several responses within seconds and went from council to council preaching the good/bad news and the preparations it entails (like no one can enter XU so do not leave any materials). To no surprise, the news was welcomed with jubilation. I even got a free mask in the ACES office and wore it the whole evening as a statement to the student body not to take this lightly. It was still around 4:15 when the CONUS, UNITASS Presidents and I started to spread the news – pretty much ahead of the official paper release. I could even see the eyes and murmurs of student upon seeing me with the mask. I didn’t hesitate to inform them that the virus is here. The amazing thing about this event aside from the virus is how quick information can spread. How XU culture is highly respective to "no class" information and how a distinct XU social dynamics facilitate the information’s circulation. You can see a wildfire burning in the Stc Lobby. Again, be safe and be healthy. Use your TEN days of a relatively liberated academic life wisely.

No comments: