Friday, July 10, 2009

Go Go Facebook Power!

I’ve observed that every time I press internet explorer or Mozilla, the address my instinct dictates to my hand is http://www.facebook.com/. It is more than fitting to say that the relatively old concept of social network has evolved into a new integrated era virtue of the facebook phenomena. Gone was the age of Friendster in the Philippines, now facebook has come to town. A sleeker classy look with a multitude of applications, this social website has truly transformed how I see the internet. Imagine, in just one platform millions of people can poke and request stuff with each other and this is very powerful. The instant possible friend search and the status bar combine the power of twitter and evaporated the need to search and search old friends who might be in the same network. For example, I got connected to my nursery friends who are mostly in the US now. More than this, facebook has become a portal of revolutions and ideas. Just look at the causes and the fan pages, ideas and the public mood is being incubated. This socio-political dimension of facebook is another source of appeal. The instant communication of ideas, opinions and updates has generally transformed how I manage streams of relevant information about people and nations. I can share great news clippings in my status bar, I can share videos and personally paste them in my intended target via “tagging”, and I can request my friends to answer some questions such as one I posted a month ago about their average internet use time which generated more than 50 responses in a matter of minutes. In this simple instant way, I hope to continue and push a conversation on certain issues and concerns online making it a potent tool to sharpen awareness and critical thinking 24-7. I even heard some professors are holding facebook classes. What a feat!? So far from just as a simple social website, this has become a new form of internet within an internet, a world within a world and with this new frontier, I should bear in mind the responsibilities it carries with it.

No comments: