Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Old Man selling Balot


Last night as we were enjoying ourselves in Caltex’ Star Mart over some soft drinks and crackers, a vendor approached us. He was selling balot and like any other street vendor, he offered us his basket of Filipino food products. But this “business” encounter was not ordinary. When I turned my head to entertain the vendor, what greeted me is a very old man. As I focused my sight to him, I can see a gray mist in his eyes - a sign of his very old age. It might not be obvious, but the view of his misty eyes made me stutter a bit. At that moment, I can see the age has consumed his sight. When I asked how much the balot is, he leaned his head towards me and repeated what I said with a questioning tone. Anyone can tell that he can no longer hear well.

He answered “kinse” after I affirmed what he asked.

As I gave my money, I had the chance to glance at the pavement and saw his dilapidated slippers housing his very crooked toes. Right there, I can see well that this man is suffering from arthritis.
My friends bought an ample amount of goods from him. As we finished our transaction, he moved away to the next table doing the same thing he did to us. At that moment, I stared with a blank face at the curved back of this old man. Anyone in this scene can be moved into some amount of pity. I ran through that feeling and again amazed by the fact that this man, regardless of his very old age and obvious physical pain is still working, walking for station to station at night. I then wondered who is he working for, who is he labouring for that he can endure that pain and sacrifice to walk around the city in an aged body bearing a heavy basket. And instantly I imagined his family waiting somewhere hoping that tomorrow will bring some food in the table, hoping and praying that no bad elements will take advantage of his fragility, hoping that he can earn something for his family. This is what struck me. Far from the need to survive, this man is enduring such pain because of his love for his family or for someone more vulnerable than him. Tonight, as I review that scene yesterday, I can see clearer that this vendor reminds me of one person who did a similar thing – Jesus Christ. I am starting to understand why he, even though I don’t know his name or even sure of his background moved me with such intensity. He reminded me of such indescribable love for and of family.

The image I see is an old man enduring such physical pain, working hard during unsafe hours just to bring home something for his family. This reflects to Christ’s own suffering and even death for our salvation. I then asked myself, when did I ever labour so hard, against the pains of my body for someone? When did I ever pay attention to these fragile people begging in the streets? When did I care much?

This whole thing occurred only about 3 minutes in Star Mart. But I continuously ask, why does this move me so much? Why does the scene move me to tears? Maybe it’s God’s way of reminding us to fall in love for something or someone greater than your own selves, a love that conquers our pains or his way of twitching us to care more for those who are vulnerable and fragile.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

No comments: