Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sorting my Future

I just came from a chat with my father. The chat was short and simple. I do not wish to elaborate what we talked about but one thing is certain, this chat made me review the direction I am taking for the future. Let me focus on the worldly profession I wish to take in complement with my inner desire to follow a road less travelled. As I trace my past, on the things that excite me, there is a certain trend that pronounces itself; all my interests are anchored on how societies work and develop. From the development of human civilization, to the interactions of the material world and human nature, all of these interests find its expression in my obsession with world history, economics, and politics. These are the three general sciences which I hope people will remember me for - A geeky person who seeks to find God working in human history, economics, and political dynamics. Now that I am nearing graduation (in a year), I begin to re-examine the depth and applicability of these interests in my future work. I realize that I need some sort of “professionalization” factor that binds these three things together and deliver more impact and weight in my future engagements. I identify the legal profession as the glue that binds my passions together because it integrates human nature and his interaction with the power structures around him. So with this, I shall begin to look at into this path of becoming a lawyer -- a childhood dream that had lost its tune but finally finds its voice again.

[A social scientist (specializing in development economics) and a lawyer]

No comments: