Saturday, March 19, 2011

SHIFT THE TASSEL



A week from now, we (the graduating batch) shall experience that singular moment of relief and joy when we ceremonially shift the tassel of our graduation cap from the left side to the right side.
In my case, after eighteen (18) years of Xavier/Jesuit Education, I can’t fathom the innate simplicity of the symbolism of shifting the side of the tassel as the ultimate symbol of college graduation. Though I understand that symbols are made to simplify complex human ideals, I can only infer that the shift of the tassel has a grand story behind it which is unique to every graduate.
My college story was that of a quest for significance, meaning, and direction. This story is nothing different from a multitude of others yet this insistent quest had led me to discover more than what I expected.
I began to learn the value of friendship knowing that college is a big place with so many “others”. Where your “friendship turnover” is relatively high and where you have more acquaintances than friends. The value I am speaking of is that priceless consequence of friendship, deep or not deep, which is discovering ourselves more through knowing others. This is the underlying magic of friendship. That quite act of liberation is at work every time we meet and know someone, much more if we deepen it.
I began to appreciate my faith more. The indispensable role of my Catholic faith in my life shined brightly in College. Though dark clouds often block its shimmer, it has shined enough to make me appreciate and realize how fundamentally important it is. College in all of its challenges and philosophy subjects has tested this faith but it has even gained strength. In simple terms, I’ve learned that life is void of purpose when everything is certain. It takes faith in the uncertainty for it to unfold in its due course.
I began to learn the value of my education. College has allowed me to see that my education is more than its face value. It is no longer just a tool for me to make a living nor an assurance for my adult survival. “A good education to get a good job” is no longer enough for me. College has taught me that this line should now be: “A good education to be a better citizen/person”. College education has transformed into an education as a potent instrument for the promotion of justice. And clearly this can be exercised in all professions and status in life. Cynics may easily dismiss this as sheer fantasy, but this world view is the very thing that makes us different from the rest – this is what makes us ateneans.
We commence a new stage in our young lives and we shall commence it with fidelity towards our values, hope for our nation, and faith in our God.

No comments: