Tuesday, May 03, 2011

A meaningful day in Claveria




Last May 30, I had a rare chance to observe the living Basic Ecclesial Community (BEC) Planning Session in Claveria, Misamis Oriental. Wikipedia defines BECs as:

Basic Ecclesial Communities (BECs), also called Basic Christian Communities, Small Christian Communities and Small Human Communities[1] (or in the Philippines, Maliliit na Sambayanang Kristiyano) are units of parishes with a greater lay administrative and quasi-sacramental role.

True to its definition, what I saw were the basic ground movement of the Church and how it continues to be relevant in the lives of these town folks. Well to be honest, this was my first time to hear such movement in the Church. And this has become a source of envy seeing these people live simple uncomplicated lives while committing themselves to these communities. I never have any such community based experience and I am seeing a future life that is far from uncomplicated (As I perceive it). Nonetheless, the church is so alive because of them. I also took the chance to walk around the center of Claveria (an exercise I always do when I am in a new place, especially rural places). Once again, I was struck by their simplicity and uncomplicatedness. Electric wires were well tucked far from our mangled wires here. The public buildings were arranged in very a functional manner; all in walking distance to one another. And I even saw a big family reunion gathered around a big wooden table outside a very old house. They even had a nifty banner hanged by the wall; so simple yet so happy. I learned so many things from a day in Claveria. One thing is how important communities are not just for the Church but for the nation as well and how we city dwellers should begin to organize our lives around simple and functional things and values.

No comments: