Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Lawyer on my mind


The Lawyer on my mind

By recalling all my experiences in college, I can draw a clearer picture of what kind of lawyer I want to be when that time comes. My college experience has been formed by my active involvement in social causes. I joined the volunteer program of the KKP-SIO. I was also active in the Student Government. I shared these two significant experiences because they are essential in predicting and defining what kind of lawyer I would like to be.

My exposure in social development work and governance has attracted me to engage in “developmental lawyering”. I would like to open a local public interest law firm which gives premium in serving indigent clients. Aside from practicing law, I can also see myself as an advocate for certain social causes such as the environment, agrarian reform and people empowerment.

My experience in governance as a student leader also inspires me to engage in governance development. People participation in the political process is a particular concern that I wish to engage in. I would like to sharpen my skills to provide competent advice in local government development.
In sum, I see a lawyer who labours to preserve the dignity and nobility of the legal profession; a lawyer who uses his ability to forward the causes of those who are left behind. A lawyer who is the voice of the voiceless and a lawyer who fights for the eternal truth that those who have less in life should have more in law.

This was written as a seatwork in Legal Writing A. Years from now, I shall reread this post and see. 

No comments: