Thursday, December 08, 2011

Ready to Engage in Law School

I am half way through my first year in Law School. I cannot consider this period as a hiatus since it is too early for that. However, the life I am beginning to live by has compelled me to review and articulate my disposition within the confines of Law School. As obviously as it is, my life now revolves around the study of law. I neither have a job nor an outside-of-law-school obligation. My life pretty much, from morning to evening revolves around reading, class, and reading. It is a hell lot boring that what I imagined.   I feel that my sharp impulse to engage is beginning to dull. I feel that the things I learned in undergrad are beginning to erode. I feel that the rich experiences I had is becoming meaningless. (Well, then again, as a freshman, settling in isolation is the best way to really get the hang of things) However, it is in these moments of intense monotony and a dreaded sense of personal depreciation that I begin to realize that the gentle breeze I need to light my ambers is clear and present in law school. This is also a realization that I am a person who never settles to what is obvious. I realized in my “disengagement” that I need to get out of the books and immerse in experiences that give life and meaning to those books.   Law school is more than just book-to-class experience; it is obviously what you make of it. In my case, in my process of finding my place in this jungle, it is slowly coming to light. As first year is about to end, hopefully with me still standing, prospects for greater engagements are in view. One in particular is my continued engagement with the young and promising leaders of the university. It is an exciting journey to be part of their growth and life. This has been one of my greatest blessings in my life. In law school, I have decided to commit as a volunteer for this year in the Center for Legal Assistance. This is the kind of stuff that I have been looking for. This is the kind of stuff that appeals to my reverence and devotion.   Being a law student is not just about being a law student. Even though we are armed with a humble and elementary knowledge of the laws, we are neither ill-equipped nor impotent to render legal services to others. Much more, with our energy and ripe idealism, we might be the best bearers of hope in a community whose perception about the legal profession is less than what we might see it. More than just passing our exams, we are called to greater engagement in the frontiers. We are given the chance to be the sparks to ignite in full light the noble yet illusive idea that those who have less in life should have more in Law.

No comments: