Sunday, April 08, 2012

XUCLA Immersion


Immersion is generally oftentimes described as living in the life of others over a limited period of time to be able to at least understand their reality and condition.  Being in XUCLA, an immersion is an integral part of our formation. It practically pulls us out of our comfort zones and places us in an experience where our legal knowledge is humanized by real life struggles of people whose simple hopes are hinged on the proper administration of justice.   

I can only share snippets of thoughts and images that I gained in my immersion in Dansolihon, Cagayan de Oro City. I just hope that these nuggets of thoughts would all form a greater image that would deepen my commitment and engagement with law and development.

Our house is 2 meters by 3 meters shed made of wood and bamboo. It is really more of a tool shed for the family’s livelihood. There is no electricity and the water source is pumped from a well which the father himself dug.

Going to the shed is so much a challenge especially when the soil is wet. I had to go through steep trails where I had to literally kiss the soil for me not transfer my weight away from the steep edge. (Picture it nalang)

Our Nanay would collect the seeds of the Nangka after we finished eating it.

Their legal issues revolve around the ownership and classification of the land they are living on. There land is their security. They are not just fighting for livelihood, they fighting for their very dignity. A demolition order was restrained early last year thanks to our resident lawyer. Now the case is on appeal.

My family earns their living from a very controversial method – mining and they are concerned over the movement to stop all forms of mining. This really opened a new perspective on my understanding of the issue. My experience showed me the practical relationship between law and economics. A hungry stomach respects no law as what the saying goes as I can remember. However, I should also like to add that the law should ensure that there is no hungry stomach. This framework of the relationship of both livelihood and law should guide us in our future discourse.

Saw the remnants of Sendong when we were swimming in the CdeO river. I even saw some roots 5 meters above the riverbank. 

It is good to be back in the place where I had my first NSTP experience teaching pupils basic math and English. I did this almost 5 years ago in their community day care center. 

No comments: