Saturday, January 06, 2007

learning from the general

The 2nd session with the Republika’s Consul on looking and learning from a mentor

Ton: Consul, I finally have the time to share a thought or two about people we call mentors.

Consul: Yes. Mentors young one are the people older or even younger than you who you consider formators and molders of your mind and heart. Seek one with caution and observation but be generous and open for you will grow well with them. Mentors are the one who inspires you not the one that makes you insecure. They have this uncanny ability to fuel your drive not to suck you of your energy. So learn from them because they are learning from you.

Ton: Yah! Basically I consider all the people mentors. One way or another they contribute a nugget of lesson to me and you but there is always a top in every list. Consul, I wish to share to you my mentor, Fr. Xrysz, sj. A brilliant Jesuit who not only reminded me of who I am but tapped the infinite seed that grows in me. He was actually the moderator of the Light Cavalry Leadership Community and I chaired that organization so it is only natural for him to be my moderator slash mentor.

Consul: Ah. In just a brief collection of sentences, what have you discovered about yourself and the world?

Ton: Wups! To long to enumerate in detail but can be summarized into one word. The mushy word we call – LOVE. I feel that this notion he implanted in my heart almost a year ago grew into so many branches that I can’t enumerate them all. The ambiguous and abstract word called love evolved into a notion that dug deep into all aspects of my life from my studies, my ideas,my human relations, my management and organizational values, leadership values, my prayers, and my technical stuff. Imagine that! It is the word that binds the seemingly impossible thoughts into one! God is love. God binds it all. He always reminded me that the people who are to powerless to dream for themselves and even those who don’t even care be the forefront of my heart. To sum it all up Consul, I rediscovered the beauty of God in Fr. Chris. In how God works in all of us. Making us do great things for others.

Consul: Yes. It is indeed a good realization that this man helped you ignite something that is already in you and not just in you but in all of us. We all have that seed of infinte. That realization of “Love”, the seed that grows is being buried today by too much materialism and by a world that simply wants to fast track everything.


Stop, look and listen.


Ton: Exactly consul! Fr. Chris made me still, listen, pray and respond! He somehow made me embrace each experience, each second as God’s way of giving me gifts because in each experience I learn something. Amazing notion!

Consul: He has given you much indeed. It is indeed up to you young one to nurture this “divine” realization. Be still. Do listen and pray. And respond with heroism and innovation. The seed is growing with the correct fertile soil.



Ton: Thank you Consul! Until next time.


God loves you!

No comments: