Sunday, November 23, 2008

First Week of Classes

My first week in this new course is complete. It is an academic week where I saw myself being placed in terrarium being tested for the quality of my responses to certain new things about college life. Now, I am back to my former nomadic ways. Meaning I don’t have a home block which also means I am constantly being with different kinds of people every subject. But luckily, I got 3 subjects being with my old block mates of both Management Accounting and Accountancy. In this situation, I could really see how I change with the composition of the class. It’s good to note that I can sharply feel the temperatures of the different classes, some being overly boisterous while others are awkwardly silent. And in these different temperatures, my approach to things also changes. So finally, I have the situation to gauge my responses to lessons, to seatmates and class mates. This is a great opportunity to practice flexibility. And one good trait I can also practice is detachment. For me, detachment is simply not letting things go under my skin that could highjack me and pollute my judgement. Sounds out of context but this trait could be applied fruitfully in my nomadic ways. For example, I should not feel “less interested” in classes because I don’t feel the crowd or I’ll stick entirely to this block because I feel them. I should give equal responses to all of these classes and in this way; it can lead me to be more fruitful and accommodating to all my partners in learning.

Aside from these personal realizations, my slate of teachers is really delightful. teachers to highlight are my very passionate teacher in Natural Science, my witty and humorous teacher in Business statistics, and my intellectually “kikayish” teacher in Marketing. All makes my MWF and TTh a bit spicy and interesting. I also have 2 teachers that I have gone through before so I just treat it as advantage now that I had dealt with their styles before. On the other hand, I got a bit disappointed because our Sociology teacher didn’t show up for the week. Sociology is of great interest to me so I hope he/she finally shows up this week.

In the community, I got an early start in advocating for social causes this week. For this week, I have begun working for the Anti-aerial spraying campaign starting with the Directorate and the college deans. This is happening in Davao where families are terribly affected by the aerial drift of the pesticide. This movement has started a year ago but still the case is pending in the Court Of Appeals. You can visit www.dirtybananas.org if you want to help. It will be deeply appreciated. This week also marks to conception of a sort of student environmental coalition that we hope to start building this month. This is patterned after Ateneo’s “Ateneo Environmental Management Coalition”. The school has just started a solid waste management program so it is timely that we reinforce it through this collation. It hasn’t got an official name yet. I’ll keep you posted on this one. This week also is politically historical with the election of the first African-American President – Barack Obama. I’ve composed a post earlier about the campaign’s influence in me and I don’t wish to elaborate further because it will just eat up all the space. I just feel fired up and the same time envious seeing the power of democracy at work in the USA. In KKP, we implemented this new system of formation and leadership called “cells”. It’s much like discipleship. I am given around 7 volunteers to nurture and form. And this thought invigorated me further because leadership formation is one thing I am deeply passionate about.

So far, these are the things that I recalled. Other engagements are routinely done that does not offer some interesting things worth sharing. Looking back at the week, I saw how rich it was and a pattern again is being set. As I always say, be sensitive to the trend because prayers can be drawn from them. To all my new partners in learning, God bless and Welcome! To all my co-“want to change the world” volunteers, God bless for an interesting and inspiring semester to lead!


the picture i took flying over Sabah on the way to Singapore. It reminds me of heaven and how small I am.

AMDG!


No comments: