Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thoughts from a Volunteer

I had the privilege to give an informal talk to the new batch of volunteers on a banig in the Student Center 2nd floor open area last Saturday. I talked about important points on volunteerism which I believe it is worth sharing. Just to note, these points I shared to an interview with Crusader Publication last semester. The 3 core points that we should put in mind are purpose, mission and formation. The three share common denominators but have distinct roles to play in the lifestyles of volunteers. First is purpose. I got this definitely from our high school principal’s (Fr. Gorge Esguerra, S.J.) message to the community every first day for four years is: “Why me?” I think this question pose a profound challenge for us to really explore the mystery of the why; the why or the reason of being placed here on this road less travelled or the reason behind the willingness to enter in such road. I believe that by merely invoking this mystery inside us opens a great sense of eagerness to pursue the answer. And most of the time; the answers can be found clearly and the whole process will enter into a new level of realization and start all over. This questioning leads to an endless cyclical movement of divine energy inside us. We just want to know more. Next is mission. I believe that mission flows from purpose. Having a clear grasp of our purpose or even having a strong sense of purpose leads us to a quest we call mission – a calling for something greater than yourself. Mission then becomes a sort of goal we willingly pursue. It is like a heroic homework given by someone who made us in the first place. So I ask volunteers to really check what their mission is. And when I say mission, the words that instantly flash in my head are the immortal words of Fr. Pedro Arrupe, S.J, “what captures your imagination?.” So I ask them what captures their imagination, what quickens their heart especially in the context of volunteerism. Is it teaching children how to read? Is it preserving culture? Is it organizing rural communities to empower? Is it planting trees? Is it forming young leaders? What ever your mission is, fall in love with it because it will decide everything. Lastly is formation. Formation for me is the process of moulding the person to be the best that he/she can be for others. If a person volunteers having in mind a personal need to be formed then he opens himself/herself up to be “filled”. This “filling” could be new experiences of achievement or failure, suffering or pleasure, power or powerlessness. It is like saying I am ready to be tested; to see the quality of my responses to different situations. This openness to the experiences how positive or negative may it be, if processed well leads to personal growth, the product of formation. I also believe that when we are open to “being filled”, this is where leadership rises to the surface. We should acknowledge that being filled with new insight, rich experiences, new and advanced skills are gifts, are graces that entail us to share it to others. This is then the beginning of leadership.

As they say, the strongest heart is a heart of a volunteer.

No comments: