Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A funny case of misinformation

Yesterday, I almost paid the price of believing in wrong information. I almost missed my Industrial Economics because I recorded a wrong time slot in my planner. I arrived 25 minutes late in a 1 hour exam. By all measure, this is a common mistake but I find the circumstances surrounding this event very insightful. For one, the date was already posted in our class facebook group, thus very visible. I kept on linking useful review notes that would appear just above the date. It was just their under my nose. But, I did not seem to bother the information. I did not bother completely reading the whole schedule thread. I just knew it’s there and I did not mind it because at the back of my head, I already relied on what I have recorded in my memory. In process, I have subconsciously blocked all other information that is related to this particular category of information because I believed that I already got it; that I have all that I needed to know. The wisdom I believe I can get from this is the simple idea of open and close mindedness. If we believe that we are sure in a particular idea, we normally tend to block other information that might challenge it. This naturally response I believe is the main culprit that cripples innovation and imagination. So with that, I leave this lesson as one that calls us to always absorb process, analyze and innovate. Ultimately, this gift is responsible for pushing our civilization forward.

No comments: