Tuesday, May 15, 2012

YayatLoue


As I was to exit the room, a small fairly skinned lady went inside the other door. I did not recognize her for a moment but when I got to see her in full view, I was amazed to see my childhood “yaya”. Ya Telou (from Marylou) as I use to call her. She was my yaya from birth up to my kindergarten years.

She went to me with a glaring sense of excitement and hugged me tight. I hugged backed with a little awkwardness but with a deep sense of gratitude. I could just imagine the joy she might me feeling seeing the once baby boy she cared for, now a 22 year-old law student. It was quite a light moment as I settled and started talking to her. I shared to her my more significant milestones in life and fittingly enough, her replies were insightful moments of my babyhood. She mentioned how silent I was as compared to my older brother. In my playing time, I loved building or assembling things as compared to more kinetic activities my other cousins were so into. Even before my eating time as a baby, she managed to observe that before I eat, I would prefer to be shared a story from fables to horror stories. I did not know I was fond of listening to stories. She also mentioned that I leaked regularly and mother did not mind to by me pampers. She only used natural lampin – she always prefers the natural. Speaking about natural, I was also breast fed for a relatively longer  period of time as compared to my peers and also I ate baby food well beyond the prescribe time. So I seem to have a longer baby period.

It got me thinking. This short yet profound reunion with my yaya as brought such a rich glimpse of a part of my past where I can never vividly recall anything. For those who are blessed to have these people still around, try to reconnect with them and simply share the common past. It reveals another side of love from the eyes of people who are entrusted to their care.  It stirred in me a deep sense of gratitude and awe at how images of life captured by these people can aid so much in understanding where I might be heading. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

she must be very overwhelmed of what u become from being palaihi, right? u might as well have been tease that time for being such? bet? i knew someone who does until grade school! it's a family secret as well as a family tease! hahaha.... it has always been an accepted family tease and its worth recalling after overcoming it. thanks for sharing.