Sunday, April 22, 2007

homework

Productivity and Art

Business Psychology 2 homework

Being productive is indeed an art – a personal interplay between though and action. It is an art to the extent that it is up to our personal preferences to concoct and interlock our actions, feelings and thoughts to produce or accomplish something in an effective and efficient manner. Being productive is unique to every person. Each person has his or her own way in being such.

Being productive has several fundamental norms which Judy Camp creatively extolled in her article. She made it a way that the word itself - “p-r-o-d-u-c-t-i-v-e”, becomes the acronym of these fundamentals. Judy Camp’s “Productive” pin-points certain areas in our lives that need to be improved and monitored for us to attain a higher degree of productivity. These range from our prioritizing skills up to personal enthusiasm on the task at hand adding that each letter of the word has its own domain. In a nutshell, the fundamentals can further be synthesized as the by-products of the following core concepts: self-awareness, ingenuity and personal care.

The self being the primary source of productivity should be mastered and understood. This is where self-awareness comes in. Being aware of myself makes me apart from myself thus making it easy for me to identify key enemies of productivity such as personal distractions and time wasters. With this “awareness tool” I can conquer those idiosyncrasies eliminating their negative influence in my work. Aside from identifying weaknesses, self awareness also sharpens my prioritizing skills. Prioritizing tasks is elemental in the art of being productive. It is knowing what to do now and what can be done later. Self awareness also calls us to be masters of our time. Knowing our high energy a point in a day gives us the advantage of using it to the maximum.

Ingenuity comes into play when we use simple technology. Tools that help us organize our tasks such as a checklist notebook or a planner is very useful. They keep us informed and reminded of progress and tasks. Creating my own system of prioritizing, monitoring and tackling tasks also boosts my productivity.

Last but not the least, is personal care. Personal care calls me not to punish myself by over tasking. It is about balancing my life with work and others. The care I give to myself must also extend to others. This results to healthy work relationships enhancing productivity.

Being productive is like painting. Through the mix of traits, preferences and priorities, a mental projection of the goals and tasks, and a brush of enthusiasm and care we can produce a masterpiece with artistic efficiency and effectively. AMDG

No comments: