Monday, May 23, 2011

Innovation and Thumbtack



I got the online job as a Snippet writer of Thumbtack.com

Thumbtack is an internet marketplace for local services, launched in December 2009.[1] Thumbtack allows service providers and consumers to find each other and negotiate jobs online.[1] In August 2010, CEO Marco Zappacosta claimed Thumbtack had over 50,000 service providers signed up on the website

I had the privilege to meet the co-founder of Thumbtack, Jonathan Swanson in Thai Me Up last May 21. I also met my co-workers in the Mindanao group and our immediate bosses. I believe this was their first Philippine tour and they also met other team members in Manila and Cebu.

Aside from the great food and company, innovation was the real highlight of the night for me. Their stories showed me how innovation specifically online jobs are helping a lot of people earn money in the convenience of their homes and in their own time.

Meeting Jonathan was also a highlight. Though we did not really strike a substantial conversation, his presence has allowed me to see the face of youthful innovation and vision. This, I believe is a fundamental trait for all of us Filipinos. We are by nature innovative. However, our economic circumstances has stalled much of the potential creativity we have and I hope someday in the future, Filipino made online businesses will boom and employ more Filipinos.

3 comments:

Joybumz said...

Nice post. I really like to have online job while I am studying. Could you give me some pieces of advice on what to do?

Mariel from Cagayan de Oro (http://www.cdokay.com)

zdruol said...

WAAAH!!! This made me jump!!!
Thanks so much for writing this awesome blog, SWeetie Tonton.

Thumbtack love,
Lourdz

Baby said...

Nice post, Ton.

You forgot to mention, though, that Filipino online workers are also raking in $$ for the country without having to leave their families.

Better than being an OFW, eh?

We pray for more online opportunities for more Filipinos soon.